February 2, 2011

The Dream

When I was ten years old, my older brother drove his pride and joy home for the first time. As the confident rumble of an American V8 rounded our cul-de-sac and pulled into our driveway, I dashed to the front yard and found that my brother’s grin mirrored mine. There it was—a quintessential American beauty. Her glossy black paint and shiny chrome wheels glistened as the September sun slipped away.



(NO, this was not our driveway. :P It's just a better picture than the others that were taken in our driveway that night!!!)

My first ride in his Corvette—later named Onyx for her obsidian-like finish—remains one of my most vivid memories. The leather (black, of course) was decadent, and it smelled of pure bliss. The dash glowed bright orange in the dark, and I remember grinning more and more as the digital speedometer ticked upward—and very quickly so. The night air tousled my hair as my brother skillfully maneuvered his new convertible. True, I honestly couldn't see above the dashboard, but I didn't care. I watched the streetlights fly by as I enjoyed sports car heaven with my brother. That night launched an obsession for cars and a soft spot for Corvettes as I devoured monthly automotive magazines, surfed Corvette forums, and carefully built scale models.

Since then, I have developed a passion for environmentally friendly practices, and I believe that cars can be both beneficial to the environment as well as fast and beautiful.  I think the American-born-and-bred Tesla Motors is the epitome of this concept, and I greatly admire the company and its products.

To me, nothing can match the exhilaration of a sports car, and my goal is to become an automotive engineer so that I may design the vehicles which deliver memories like mine.

September 11, 2000
April 9, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment